Our Company

The site location of Georgenthal has been renowned for its galvanizing techniques for more than 125 years.

On 4th August, 1992, Jens Holzapfel founded an electroplating plant for surface treatments of metals in Georgenthal.


Bild Zink-Eisen

How it all began

The historical development of the galvanizing technique in Georgenthal started in 1890 by the establishment of a metal factory in Tambach-Dietharz. Production was fuelled by orders from vehicle, tobacco pipe and armament industries. With nationalisation in 1946, the company was dismantled and in 1947, it re-established itself as a state-owned enterprise for the manufacture of light bulb caps, bicycle bells and bicycle rear spotlights. To satisfy the high demand of light bulb caps, a new division including one for galvanization was built in Georgenthal in 1982.

During privatisation of state-owned enterprises at the time of the reunification, 22 year-old Jens Holzapfel took over this state-owned enterprise and founded his own private business.  On August 4th, 1982, the company Galvanotechnik Jens Holzapfel began operations employing a total of 17 employees and remains unchanged to this day.
In the two years that followed, major steps were undertaken to expand production. This entailed a new construction of the copper/nickel barrel line and zinc barrel line, the building of the first automated zinc racks, the modernization of chrome line, the new construction of wastewater plant and the investment of a transporter.

Since that time, modernisation has been carried out continuously. Between 1995 and 1999, the capacity of the first automated zinc rack was expanded due to increasing order cycle, the second automated zinc rack was built with the introduction of chromium (VI)-free surface coatings and the company fleet increased by the purchase of its first truck. The growing administration also required the expansion of the existing office space.

Repeated improvement and increasing turnovers led to the construction of a new zinc and zinc/nickel barrel plant and the introduction of zinc/iron coating between 2000 and 2005. In addition, fleet and staff rooms required expansion.

In 2007, the next big stage of construction entailed the expansion of the storage and production area to a total of 2,500 m², the new building of high-performance automated zinc rack with chromium (VI)-free passivation and sealing as well as an addition to the vehicle fleet.

 Achieving company's 20th anniversary in 2012, because of the rising order situation there was set up 600 m² storage area by constructing a new storehouse, there was build a new high-capacity wastewater treatment plant and the northeast storefront was completed at least, too. Furthermore, the increasing customer's service requirements asked for setting a system for 100% control of goods, including packaging, weighing, counting and labelling.

In June 2014, production was expanded by the implementation of an aluminium passivation machine in order to win another well-known automotive supplier as a valuable customer.

Today, 130 employees are utilised over three and four shifts to meet the demands of our customers. Once a small establishment, we have developed into a successful medium-sized company in the heart of Thüringen, and this progress is set to continue as we plan new investments in technology and personnel in the following years.